Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Adjustment layer and smart filter


These are the original pictures before I edited them. One was taken in Rexburg and the one of my niece was taken at the beginning of the Spring semester with my brother's camera.
























For the dog image, I gave the entire image a sepia tone. Then I used a darken layer filter. Then I used the paint brush to erase the filter where the dog was. For the photo of my niece, I gave the image an overlay image filter to brighten the whole image. Then I went to the filter gallery and selected a water color filter to make the background look painted. Then I used the paint brush tool to erase the filter where my niece is. I think it makes her costume really pop. Here are the final edited images below!



































Photo Info: 
1. Stray - 5/10/10, 7:40 p.m., Rexburg, ID, f/3.5, Canon Power Shot SD400
2. Emi - 4/23/10, 1:00 p.m., Dallas, TX, f/4.5

5 comments:

  1. I like the content of the first photo (the dumpster, the ally, etc.) It would make a good photo for Sarah McLauchlan's animal rights ad on TV. The dog looks like it has a tint of purple. The dog photo has a lot going on. I'm not sure whether to look at the dog, the dumpster or the car's down the road. I'd almost like to see everything else desaturated or slightly blurred out or something. I don't know for sure. Great photo of your niece. Very cute outfit. Same concept goes for her photo. Maybe some saturation edits or blur or something would really set her apart from the distracting background. I don't know exactly what I'm getting at...Great job with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Seth about maybe adding a filter to blur out some stuff on the dog picture. AND I love the picture of your niece. Love that she stands out better after you added the filter. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of your niece, it looks like I could see it hanging on a photographer's wall! Excellent job on the painted effect, it doesn't look fake! I like that you took the blue tones out of the dog image and added brown. I wish that you could have gotten his face but I understand he probably was a stray so not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of your niece! The editing looks professional on that picture. Sometimes, like Laura said, the editing looks completely fake. But it is light enough that it adds to the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute dog you should have taken him home i like the color change in the fur. really professional look to your pictures.

    ReplyDelete